Skip to main content

Table Tutorials


I've had a lot of questions in regard to our pvc pipe sensory tables and plexi-glass table top.

I actually made a handout for one of my training sessions in regard to both our sensory tables and our light tables. You can download a pdf version of it here. (I don't have dimensions, as it will all depend on the bin you choose for the table. Perhaps I will get a better tutorial up soon with the exact dimensions if you order your tub from Home Depot.)

We actually have 3 tables. The one you have been seeing recently with the plexi-glass on top of it is made with 1 1/4" diameter pvc pipe and has a little bit different design than the one shown on the handout. (When I switched to a different cement mixing tub, I also switched the design a little bit). I found a lot of inspiration from other sites, and merged ideas to come up with my design.
This version is a little more like a wheelbarrow... It is going to have wheels on two of the legs.  It is also a bit different because it doesn't have an arm that holds the tub up, it has a full layer to support it. 
I'll see what I can do to get a few better photos when I'm back home!
(I'm in Chicago right now, ready for a great day with BEV BOS tomorrow!!! (Can you tell I'm excited???))

In regard to the plexi-glass table top we have.... Well, all it is are two sheets of plexi glass that I place over the frame of the table. They are not connected to it in any way. I'll have to measure the plates for you when I get home, but they are upcycled plates that we took out of some of the cribs that were donated by a friend of mine because they could no longer be used with the new standards for cribs. We took them apart, and have upcycled some of the pieces into things, using the plexi glass as mentioned and making a writing desk here.

I hope this answers most of your questions! One of the great things about the pvc pipe table is that it can easily come apart to be stored. If you are anything like me... storage can be an issue! So, having a table that can easily come apart and be stored, yet be sturdy enough for exploration is ideal!


Comments

gr8 table idea for water play, washing hands before cooking, rice, sand...very cool & affordable. Thanks for the tutorial.
Ms. Dawn, The Singing Nurse
Suz said…
Thank You!!!! :o)
This is cool! Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Popular posts from this blog

What Would You Do With It? Wednesday #4, Cardboard Tubes (Toilet Paper, Paper Towel, etc)

Welcome to this week's edition of What Would You Do With It? Wednesday. This week's item(s) are paper tubes. You most often find them at the end of a roll of toilet paper or paper toweling. I'm having trouble hunting up the photos I was going to post for this, so when I find them, I will add them. We have made: rain sticks kaleidoscopes marble runs and we have also cut the tubes and made them into flowers or snowflakes like these. If you would like to visit and link to some of our previous What Would You Do With It Wednesdays, please click here.

Making Moon Mud!

We usually make our moon sand with cornstarch , sand, and baby oil. However a blog reader commented that when they make their moon sand- they use water instead of oil.  So, of course, my first thought was- why make moon sand when you could make MOON MUD?  And so you have it- our homemade moon mud! Basically, it ends up being a sandy- runny oobleck! It acts kind of like a solid- and kind of like a liquid..... Now, I'm sure I will get all kinds of questions on the exact recipe and proportions to make this stuff.....  The truth is, we rarely measure. We just mix it up until it looks and feels about right! Today, we made ours with too much water. (It was an experiment.) So, we removed some off the top.  After we were done playing in the mud- we let it sit. A little bit more of the water evaporated while we napped.... Then, this afternoon- It was perfect! Hard as a rock on the bottom, until you dig into grab it... Then....

Easter Egg Caterpillars!

OOOPS! This post has moved, please click on the photo to be redirected!