Skip to main content

Finally, A Flannel Board!


Earlier this summer, I managed to score a big lot of flannel board characters and stories for a couple of bucks at a yardsale. We have been playing with them on the floor and with a very small lap sized flannel board. I have had visions of a larger flannel board for quite some time, and thought that if I bought the pieces, I would make it a bigger priority to make one! Well, having the pieces really didn't help to change my priority of things to do list, that is, until this week!


I had a scrap piece of hardboard and cut it to fit the bottom three shelves of one of our tall book shelves. (The dimensions are 28" x 43"). I gave it a quick coat of primer, and then covered one side with white felt.

Then I hinged it to the book shelf! "Ta, Da!" A giant flannel board! The great thing about it is, the other side has a little overlap from the felt, but is basically a blank slate. It will make a great chalkboard if I ever remember to pick up that chalkboard paint at the hardware store!

Even though we have a lot of great pieces for the board already; we decided to make some of our own. One of our favorite books is:


This was a very easy book to make a flannel board set for. The pages already have the exact shapes cut out for you to trace and cut!


I adapted the pieces so that the hair and teeth were one solid piece instead of lots of little pieces.


Our monster is fantastic, although like most things we try..... I think we might need to make a bigger one! I might trace the images and enlarge them on the copier so that we can make a GIANT SIZED BIG GREEN MONSTER!

Some of the older girls wanted to try to make their own pieces for the flannel board. They have been using scissors with paper for quite some time. However, they learned that cutting fabric is much more challenging than cutting paper. Persistence and fabric scissors lead to lots of cutting success!




I shared this post on Teach Preschool, hop on over and look at all of the other great felt board ideas! http://www.teachpreschool.org/2011/11/every-day-flannel-board-play/

Comments

Jac said…
That turned out great!! Where did you find the felt big enough for your board? I really like how you've hinged it on the shelf :)
I had the felt in my craft stash. I'm not sure when where I bought/accumulated it! I know most fabric stores sell it by the yard. That was another great thing about this, it was a stash buster! I had all of the materials already!
jwg said…
Do you know that they also make magnetic paint. It's not super strong but it will hold refrigerator letters and stuff like that.
April said…
I have also wanted to make a much bigger felt board, the one I made out of a diaper box is really too small.

Jaclyn, I used a flannel backed tablecloth for my felt board. It only costs like 3 dollars I think.

Thank you so much for offering to send me a postcard from Michigan and Denmark! I am really excited! I lived in Michigan for a few years when I was a little girl. Please send me your address and I will send you my daughter's!
Dawn said…
Hi Amy ! i run an approved Dayhome here in Alberta Canada ! just thought i would stop by and say hi! Just wanted to share with you what i do for felt board stories sometimes! If there is a book you would like to make into a felt board story- simply scan the pics from the book(just for your own use),cut them out, laminate them and glue a small piece of velcro on the back. Voila ! instant (or as instant as we can get in dayhome) felt board pieces! ! ta - da !
light and blessings
@April- You're welcome! We love to participate in post card swaps!

@Autumn mama- great idea! I thought of using old/torn books to do the same thing, but not the idea of making copies. BRILLIANT!!!!
Unknown said…
I love it, Amy! Go Away Green Monster is in my list of "must have" books and I love that your kids helped make the pieces! What a boon to find all those sets at a yardsale~better than any treasure I can think of! Thanks for sharing this with me! :)
Anonymous said…
So fun. Jealous that you got all those felt sets at a yard sale! I think it is amazing that you hinged it and attached it to a bookshelf. How wonderful.
Unknown said…
Love the board Amy! So big! :) And it's great that kids help recreate story pieces! :) Guess that if they can do it, even one sewing dummy like me can too! :)
Deborah said…
Thanks for linking up to Every Day Flannel Board Play Amy! You rock:)

Popular posts from this blog

What Would You Do With It? Wednesday #4, Cardboard Tubes (Toilet Paper, Paper Towel, etc)

Welcome to this week's edition of What Would You Do With It? Wednesday. This week's item(s) are paper tubes. You most often find them at the end of a roll of toilet paper or paper toweling. I'm having trouble hunting up the photos I was going to post for this, so when I find them, I will add them. We have made: rain sticks kaleidoscopes marble runs and we have also cut the tubes and made them into flowers or snowflakes like these. If you would like to visit and link to some of our previous What Would You Do With It Wednesdays, please click here.

Yes, WE CLIMB UP THE SLIDE!

Yes, we do climb up the slide. We climb up the slide here at Child Central Station in the backyard... We climb up the slides when we are at the park..... and here are a few reasons why we think you could reconsider climbing up and allowing the children in your care to climb up the slide too! 1. Climbing up the Slide uses MUSCLE!  Young children need to be active and climbing up the slide requires a lot of muscle and coordination. It is not an easy feat- and requires strength, concentration, determination, and will power. 2. Climbing up the Slide is RISKY! Yes- climbing up the slide is potentially risky, but so is sliding down! Your job as a caregiver is to carefully observe and monitor the situation, to be close by- but not to interfere unless necessary. Part of a child's learning process must include managing risks- climbing up the slide is a perfect way to practice this skill. 3. Climbing up the Slide involves potential CONFLICT! It is al

Making Moon Mud!

We usually make our moon sand with cornstarch , sand, and baby oil. However a blog reader commented that when they make their moon sand- they use water instead of oil.  So, of course, my first thought was- why make moon sand when you could make MOON MUD?  And so you have it- our homemade moon mud! Basically, it ends up being a sandy- runny oobleck! It acts kind of like a solid- and kind of like a liquid..... Now, I'm sure I will get all kinds of questions on the exact recipe and proportions to make this stuff.....  The truth is, we rarely measure. We just mix it up until it looks and feels about right! Today, we made ours with too much water. (It was an experiment.) So, we removed some off the top.  After we were done playing in the mud- we let it sit. A little bit more of the water evaporated while we napped.... Then, this afternoon- It was perfect! Hard as a rock on the bottom, until you dig into grab it... Then....