Skip to main content

UPAEYC Conference

I had the wonderful pleasure of attending the Upper Peninsula Association for the Education of Young Children's (UPAEYC) fall conference today. If you have never seen Dan Hodgins, you need to make sure to get to one of his presentations!

I didn't happen to bring my camera, but we had a great time. This morning's workshop was entitled Get Them Outside Now! I was really excited about this part of the conference with all of the changes we have been making to our outdoor space. What was even more interesting, is that some of the photos on the powerpoint were oddly familiar. I had to look a couple of times, and then I realized that, those were photos of MY BACKYARD! Dan had found my blog through some of our similar online contacts and featured our easel and our music area!!! How cool was that! I know our play space is continually evolving and I have a HUGE wish list and number of changes and projects planned for the near future, but it was really nifty to have been featured in his presentation! He some great ideas from one of my favorite blogs to visit, Let the Children Play.

It was a great day for networking and sharing ideas! Don't worry, I will be posting all kinds of fun things I either heard about today, or were inspiration for something of my own. :).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our DIY Light Tables

There has been a lot of buzz about light tables over at Teach Preschool on Facebook . Deborah has collected some great ideas for light table play and has been experimenting with making her own table over on the Teach Preschool blog.   I thought I would share with you our two light tables and how we made them. This first table is one that we put together with some scrap wood pieces, an old plexi-glass door from an entertainment center, and a couple of aquarium lights. Total Cost = $0. (We had everything on hand.)  The table needs a little bit of tweaking. (It is on my to do list).  Basically, we made a frame of wood around the plexi-glass and placed the lights under it. Our DIY skills in putting this together were far from expert, so the frame has a couple of gaps (and the reused wood is warped). We plan to try a new frame and use some caulk to seal any gaps.  We also plan to attach the lights to the side of the frame instead of just placing them on the f...

A Few Ideas With Marker Caps (As Promised)

Yesterday, I hope I convinced you not to throw away your markers that "don't work." Today, I will share with you a few ideas for what to do with all of the caps. The possibilities are nearly endless, but here are a few of our recent creations: 1) A Leprechaun/Fairy Ladder/Rope Ladder: 2) #1 if not permanently secured can also double as a rope bridge: 3) #1/#2 can also be made into a train track for your homemade trains :). (No photo available) 4) You can use them as beads for a necklace: 5) You could make them into a wind chime. (No photo available). 6. You can use them as small manipulatives to count, sort, and make patterns with. (No photo available). 7) You could use them as playing pieces in your own homemade board game. (No photo available). 8) You could put them on a wire and glue them in place to make a twirling whirly-gig. 9) You could top them with a lid from a milk jug to make tiny tables or toadstools. 10) You could make them...

"The Markers Don't Work!"

How may times have you heard, "Ms. (fill your name in here), this marker doesn't work!" I know I hear it all the time. Sometimes it is because our little friends forget to replace the caps, and sometimes the markers have just been "all used up!" What do you do with all those markers that just don't work? Please don't tell me that you throw them out, try this instead: First, sort your markers out. Put the caps in one container ( save those too, I'll show you what you can do with them in tomorrow's post) and the markers in another. I have a box for the markers that "don't work" for the children to place them into every time they run across one. You can also have the children help you test the markers periodically to sort out the ones that need to be removed from the "working set." When it comes time to use "the markers that don't work," we use a small sponge paint roller to roll water onto our card...