Skip to main content

Clay Dough Ornaments


I have so many different recipes for home made art supplies. This is one of my favorite for an air drying clay. I like it better than salt dough, and we have used it to make all kinds of sculptures, beads, and ornaments in the past.  This year, we have been making ornaments for the 4C of the UP, Great Start Regional Child Care Resource Center's Christmas Tree.
The clay is a lot of fun to play with. most of the children were more interested in playing with the clay rather than sculpting with it.... So we played..... we rolled it, and we squished it.... and then when the children didn't want to play any more... I molded the dough into round shapes.
roll the clay into a ball
squish the ball with a cup
You will have an almost perfect circle....
to make it perfect, I used the other side of the cup like a cookie cutter.
Then you will get a circle that has a small ridge
I used a straw to make a round hole in each circle ornament
This clay will air dry quite nicely. I wanted to speed up the process, so I put them in the food dehydrator. 
When the circles were dry, the children decorated them by painting them. We used liquid water colors, tempera, and acrylic paints. We also added some glitter for glimmer!

Here is the recipe:
Claydough
You will need:
1 c cornstarch
2 c baking soda
1 ½ c water
Food Coloring (optional)

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat when the  mixture starts to look like mashed potatoes.  The clay will thicken more as it cools. Knead and form into shapes! This clay will air dry or can be placed in a food dehydrator or low temp oven to dry.

Comments

I am going to try this. It looks great...and I notice that it is gluten-free!
We made this and LOVE it! It has a wonderful texture and is gluten-free. We put some peppermint extract in it and it is wonderful to use. I want to play with it! Thank you for posting the recipe.
Phyllis- I'm so glad you enjoyed the clay! I bet the peppermint makes it delightful! I hadn't thought of that... I scent the play dough all the time, but not my air drying stuff! We really like it, and it dries so much smoother than most salt dough! Enjoy!

Popular posts from this blog

What Would You Do With It? Wednesday #4, Cardboard Tubes (Toilet Paper, Paper Towel, etc)

Welcome to this week's edition of What Would You Do With It? Wednesday. This week's item(s) are paper tubes. You most often find them at the end of a roll of toilet paper or paper toweling. I'm having trouble hunting up the photos I was going to post for this, so when I find them, I will add them. We have made: rain sticks kaleidoscopes marble runs and we have also cut the tubes and made them into flowers or snowflakes like these. If you would like to visit and link to some of our previous What Would You Do With It Wednesdays, please click here.

Making Moon Mud!

We usually make our moon sand with cornstarch , sand, and baby oil. However a blog reader commented that when they make their moon sand- they use water instead of oil.  So, of course, my first thought was- why make moon sand when you could make MOON MUD?  And so you have it- our homemade moon mud! Basically, it ends up being a sandy- runny oobleck! It acts kind of like a solid- and kind of like a liquid..... Now, I'm sure I will get all kinds of questions on the exact recipe and proportions to make this stuff.....  The truth is, we rarely measure. We just mix it up until it looks and feels about right! Today, we made ours with too much water. (It was an experiment.) So, we removed some off the top.  After we were done playing in the mud- we let it sit. A little bit more of the water evaporated while we napped.... Then, this afternoon- It was perfect! Hard as a rock on the bottom, until you dig into grab it... Then....

Easter Egg Caterpillars!

OOOPS! This post has moved, please click on the photo to be redirected!