Skip to main content

You can Call me Buttcheek

Name calling happens. Sometimes it is playful and fun.... and sometimes it is an attempt of verbal power/control.  As an observer, sometimes it is difficult to tell. The only person who can really decide if they are okay with the nickname is the person who is being called by that name.
"You're a crazy chicken nugget!"
When children opt to call others by different names, like other things, we try to allow them to work it out. The best way to do that is to carefully observe. When a child seems uncomfortable with a name they have been called it is appropriate to ask, "Do you want to be called.....?"  Sometimes they will say yes and I encourage them to let the other children know that "you can call me .... if you want to."
"Hey Butt cheek!" (Giggles)
"You can call me butt cheek if you want to!" (More Giggles)
When a child is truly uncomfortable with a name they are being called, I help them to talk to the person who is using a name or nickname they do not like. I try to be there as a silent support/witness to the conversation. I encourage them to tell the child that they do not want to be called by that name and I often suggest that they remind the other child what their name is.

"I don't like it when you call me 'Sweetie!' My name is Sue. Please call me Sue."
If a child has a hard time remembering not to call a child a specific name, sometimes they need to be reminded. "I heard Sue tell you that she does not want to be called 'Sweetie.' Did you forget? Her name is Sue."
I have to tell you the examples I used in this post are real (I did change names to protect identity) and the same child was called "butt cheek" and "sweetie." I found it amusing that this little girl was okay with being called a "butt cheek," but was definitely not okay with being called "sweetie."
Personally, I would rather be called "sweetie," but who am I to judge?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Would You Do With It? Wednesday #4, Cardboard Tubes (Toilet Paper, Paper Towel, etc)

Welcome to this week's edition of What Would You Do With It? Wednesday. This week's item(s) are paper tubes. You most often find them at the end of a roll of toilet paper or paper toweling. I'm having trouble hunting up the photos I was going to post for this, so when I find them, I will add them. We have made: rain sticks kaleidoscopes marble runs and we have also cut the tubes and made them into flowers or snowflakes like these. If you would like to visit and link to some of our previous What Would You Do With It Wednesdays, please click here.

Making Moon Mud!

We usually make our moon sand with cornstarch , sand, and baby oil. However a blog reader commented that when they make their moon sand- they use water instead of oil.  So, of course, my first thought was- why make moon sand when you could make MOON MUD?  And so you have it- our homemade moon mud! Basically, it ends up being a sandy- runny oobleck! It acts kind of like a solid- and kind of like a liquid..... Now, I'm sure I will get all kinds of questions on the exact recipe and proportions to make this stuff.....  The truth is, we rarely measure. We just mix it up until it looks and feels about right! Today, we made ours with too much water. (It was an experiment.) So, we removed some off the top.  After we were done playing in the mud- we let it sit. A little bit more of the water evaporated while we napped.... Then, this afternoon- It was perfect! Hard as a rock on the bottom, until you dig into grab it... Then....

Easter Egg Caterpillars!

OOOPS! This post has moved, please click on the photo to be redirected!