Skip to main content

2013 UP Early Childhood Conference



I'm home- recouping from another AMAZING weekend at the UP Early Childhood Conference. I spent the entire day yesterday with Lisa Murphy aka The Ooey Gooey Lady! (I know you're jealous!) Great conference sessions- great conversations- and she even took some amazing photos of my "Sense"ational Learning Fun workshop session! Most of the time- I am so busy with presenting that I forget to take photos or ask someone else to.  (You can see all of the photos on her Facebook Page)

This is one of my favorites- We put slime/goop/gak/putty/flubber (whatever name you give the substance made with water, borax, and glue) on top of my pvc pipe and peg board contraption (inspired by Tom of Sand and Water Tables).... We let it sit and TA DA! 


Here is a video of our turkey baster and plastic shot glass projectile!




I also realized today that those of you hoping to recreate our sand and water table- that the plans in the handout are for a previous version..... 

So, watch the blog this week for more detailed explanations on 
the dimensions and how we put the latest version of 
our pvc pipe and cement mixing tub table together! 


You can read more about our hydraulics station in an older post here.
(That was also inspired by Tom over at Sand and Water Tables)

I was also privileged to spend most of Friday with Georgean Johnson Coffey (and James Coffey too!) We were so busy with our workshops and chatting that we forgot to get any photos taken together- we'll have to make that happen next time! 

I'm super excited to have some new music to share this week!

I'm off to enjoy the rest of the weekend! 

Don't forget- you can find more photos when you follow me on Facebook too!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Would You Do With It? Wednesday #4, Cardboard Tubes (Toilet Paper, Paper Towel, etc)

Welcome to this week's edition of What Would You Do With It? Wednesday. This week's item(s) are paper tubes. You most often find them at the end of a roll of toilet paper or paper toweling. I'm having trouble hunting up the photos I was going to post for this, so when I find them, I will add them. We have made: rain sticks kaleidoscopes marble runs and we have also cut the tubes and made them into flowers or snowflakes like these. If you would like to visit and link to some of our previous What Would You Do With It Wednesdays, please click here.

Making Moon Mud!

We usually make our moon sand with cornstarch , sand, and baby oil. However a blog reader commented that when they make their moon sand- they use water instead of oil.  So, of course, my first thought was- why make moon sand when you could make MOON MUD?  And so you have it- our homemade moon mud! Basically, it ends up being a sandy- runny oobleck! It acts kind of like a solid- and kind of like a liquid..... Now, I'm sure I will get all kinds of questions on the exact recipe and proportions to make this stuff.....  The truth is, we rarely measure. We just mix it up until it looks and feels about right! Today, we made ours with too much water. (It was an experiment.) So, we removed some off the top.  After we were done playing in the mud- we let it sit. A little bit more of the water evaporated while we napped.... Then, this afternoon- It was perfect! Hard as a rock on the bottom, until you dig into grab it... Then....

Easter Egg Caterpillars!

OOOPS! This post has moved, please click on the photo to be redirected!