Skip to main content

Outdoor Chalkboards

I've been doing my best to push spring along. I am so anxious to get back to making the planned changes to our outdoor space!

 We have had a couple of dry sunny days, so I decided that we could start working on some of the fence projects! I have envisioned creating mini chalkboards on our fence for quite sometime, but I have been itching to do even more since I found out that you could make your own chalkboard paint!


We are creating mini strips of chalkboard all the way along our fence. Some are high, some are low. I hope to gather of make some small step stools and ladders for the children to use the higher ones.


I keep shoveling our piles of snow, breaking it up and moving it into the sunnier patches of the yard, trying to expedite the melting process.

Another layer of paint on these sections and they will be ready to go!

We have a lot planned for the continuation of the transformation of our outdoor classroom. If you need or have some great inspiration, stop on by and link up to our outdoor classroom inspiration page! 



If you stopped by looking for our weekly What Would You Do With It? Wednesday post, don't worry... It will be up later tonight :).

Comments

mom4 said…
inspirer me to hope for spring and i also want to add more to my outside area and use it more . thanks for sharing
http://abcsofjesshouse.blogspot.com/
Unknown said…
love the way you're trying to "help" the snow melt :) and love the idea- chalkboards outside are such a great idea! We may have to try this! (by the way- pretty soon that outdoor classroom blog hop of yours is going to get so long on my blog that it will make the blog almost as long as our hall! oh- I can't wait- then the name will REALLY fit! I've loved looking at all the inspiring ideas!)
Love the pictures of SPRING,I think your children will have such alot of fun with your new additions to your yard this year.
Brenda

(Early Childhood Education and Commonsense)

(I started myself a new blog, and can't seem to separate them , so the new name appears if I make a comment - so just thought I'd let you know it's just me.)

Popular posts from this blog

What Would You Do With It? Wednesday #4, Cardboard Tubes (Toilet Paper, Paper Towel, etc)

Welcome to this week's edition of What Would You Do With It? Wednesday. This week's item(s) are paper tubes. You most often find them at the end of a roll of toilet paper or paper toweling. I'm having trouble hunting up the photos I was going to post for this, so when I find them, I will add them. We have made: rain sticks kaleidoscopes marble runs and we have also cut the tubes and made them into flowers or snowflakes like these. If you would like to visit and link to some of our previous What Would You Do With It Wednesdays, please click here.

Yes, WE CLIMB UP THE SLIDE!

Yes, we do climb up the slide. We climb up the slide here at Child Central Station in the backyard... We climb up the slides when we are at the park..... and here are a few reasons why we think you could reconsider climbing up and allowing the children in your care to climb up the slide too! 1. Climbing up the Slide uses MUSCLE!  Young children need to be active and climbing up the slide requires a lot of muscle and coordination. It is not an easy feat- and requires strength, concentration, determination, and will power. 2. Climbing up the Slide is RISKY! Yes- climbing up the slide is potentially risky, but so is sliding down! Your job as a caregiver is to carefully observe and monitor the situation, to be close by- but not to interfere unless necessary. Part of a child's learning process must include managing risks- climbing up the slide is a perfect way to practice this skill. 3. Climbing up the Slide involves potential CONFLICT! It is al

Making Moon Mud!

We usually make our moon sand with cornstarch , sand, and baby oil. However a blog reader commented that when they make their moon sand- they use water instead of oil.  So, of course, my first thought was- why make moon sand when you could make MOON MUD?  And so you have it- our homemade moon mud! Basically, it ends up being a sandy- runny oobleck! It acts kind of like a solid- and kind of like a liquid..... Now, I'm sure I will get all kinds of questions on the exact recipe and proportions to make this stuff.....  The truth is, we rarely measure. We just mix it up until it looks and feels about right! Today, we made ours with too much water. (It was an experiment.) So, we removed some off the top.  After we were done playing in the mud- we let it sit. A little bit more of the water evaporated while we napped.... Then, this afternoon- It was perfect! Hard as a rock on the bottom, until you dig into grab it... Then....