Skip to main content

Our Wild Weekend Sept 18-19

"Tell me, what is it that you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver



We started off our Saturday morning with a birthday party! Yes, it is that time of year again. Summer is a little bit less hectic when it comes to birthdays around here. Now that we are into the fall, we will have party, after party, after party! This was a great chance to reconnect with an "old" friend who no longer comes to our daycare. It is always fun to see how much our little ones grow as they move on.



The party was a lot of fun. Dane enjoyed spending time with some of his friends in a different setting, and honestly, who doesn't love the children's museum? His favorite activity this time was the intestine slide.



Oh, and you can't forget the turtle habitat!

For the rest of our weekend, literally hours on end..... We did one of two things: worked on the play structure or played Wii. Jack, and Walt came over and helped Allan move the structure into place while Dane and I were at the party. Allan I put in probably about 8 hours on the structure after on Saturday.......





On Sunday, we spent another good 9-10 hours working on the project. Dane's cousins came over to check things out and play for a few.





We finished the structure and moved a good portion of sand around just as it was starting to get dark.

Then, we finished our Sunday night off with some seriously intense Mario Kart Wii and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games. For the first time, (I think ever!) I beat Dane in Mario Kart! That was definitely wild!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our DIY Light Tables

There has been a lot of buzz about light tables over at Teach Preschool on Facebook . Deborah has collected some great ideas for light table play and has been experimenting with making her own table over on the Teach Preschool blog.   I thought I would share with you our two light tables and how we made them. This first table is one that we put together with some scrap wood pieces, an old plexi-glass door from an entertainment center, and a couple of aquarium lights. Total Cost = $0. (We had everything on hand.)  The table needs a little bit of tweaking. (It is on my to do list).  Basically, we made a frame of wood around the plexi-glass and placed the lights under it. Our DIY skills in putting this together were far from expert, so the frame has a couple of gaps (and the reused wood is warped). We plan to try a new frame and use some caulk to seal any gaps.  We also plan to attach the lights to the side of the frame instead of just placing them on the f...

A Few Ideas With Marker Caps (As Promised)

Yesterday, I hope I convinced you not to throw away your markers that "don't work." Today, I will share with you a few ideas for what to do with all of the caps. The possibilities are nearly endless, but here are a few of our recent creations: 1) A Leprechaun/Fairy Ladder/Rope Ladder: 2) #1 if not permanently secured can also double as a rope bridge: 3) #1/#2 can also be made into a train track for your homemade trains :). (No photo available) 4) You can use them as beads for a necklace: 5) You could make them into a wind chime. (No photo available). 6. You can use them as small manipulatives to count, sort, and make patterns with. (No photo available). 7) You could use them as playing pieces in your own homemade board game. (No photo available). 8) You could put them on a wire and glue them in place to make a twirling whirly-gig. 9) You could top them with a lid from a milk jug to make tiny tables or toadstools. 10) You could make them...

"The Markers Don't Work!"

How may times have you heard, "Ms. (fill your name in here), this marker doesn't work!" I know I hear it all the time. Sometimes it is because our little friends forget to replace the caps, and sometimes the markers have just been "all used up!" What do you do with all those markers that just don't work? Please don't tell me that you throw them out, try this instead: First, sort your markers out. Put the caps in one container ( save those too, I'll show you what you can do with them in tomorrow's post) and the markers in another. I have a box for the markers that "don't work" for the children to place them into every time they run across one. You can also have the children help you test the markers periodically to sort out the ones that need to be removed from the "working set." When it comes time to use "the markers that don't work," we use a small sponge paint roller to roll water onto our card...